Re: printer and modem nearly working (was: close to giving up on YDL 2)

Subject: Re: printer and modem nearly working (was: close to giving up on YDL 2)
From: ABrady (kcsmart@kc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 00:08:17 MDT

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 22:34:52 -0400 Merrill Aldrich
<maldrich@netwalk.com> imparted to us:

> Dan -
>
> Your suggestion got me most of the way there! I downloaded and
> installed
> the kernel rpm at
>
> ftp://ftp.terraplex.com/pub/users/dburcaw/kernel-2.4.4-3b/
> I had to read up on modules (that'll give you some idea how new I am
> at
> this ;-) and found that if I use
>
> insmod printer
>
> the printer will work,
>
> likewise
>
> insmod macserial
>
> brings the modem to life. There was much rejoicing. I'm not sure where
> you are, but perhaps you heard me jumping up and down when it worked!
>
> Now there are just two small items remaining, if anyone has a minute
> help me:
>
> 1. ppp is not cooperating with the new kernel. I noticed another
> thread
> about that issue, where Phil was able to use MAKEDEV ppp to get it
> going.
>
> I tried
>
> cd /dev
> ./MAKEDEV ppp
>
> but the behavior I get is that the modem dials, the machine logs into
> my
> ISP, but no working network connection is made. (i.e. browser(s)
> cannot
> find any web sites, etc)
>
> What's the best solution here? Is there a fix posted somewhere?
>
> and
>
> 2. Where is the configuration file that controls which modules load at
> boot? I'd like to add the printer and macserial modules, and remove
> the
> sound module since it does not appear to work on my cube. (Again
> please
> excuse my ignorance)
>
> Dan Burcaw wrote:
>
> > The -3b revision available at:
> > ftp://ftp.terraplex.com/pub/users/dburcaw/kernel-2.4.4-3b/
> > is a much more well-rounded kernel build. I suggest you
> > give it a try.
> >
> > On Wednesday 08 August 2001 10:54, you wrote:
> >
> >> The other replies to this post seem to focus on ppp and eth0, which
> would
> >> be useless to you if ttyS0 does not exist. I know because I am
> having an
> >> identical problem with the stock 2.4.4-1asmp kernel. Perhaps
> TerraSoft did
> >> not compile support for /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/usb/lp0 into the 2.4
> kernels???

Put your ISP's DNS servers in /etc/resolv.conf and that oughta do 'er.
Should look about like this:

domain kc.rr.com
nameserver 24.94.163.114
nameserver 24.94.163.113
nameserver 24.94.163.33
search kc.rr.com

YMMV.

--
Excuse my english. I went to US public school.