RE: VNC Server

Subject: RE: VNC Server
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 09:49:59 MDT

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Brian Watson wrote:
>I don't have KDE, Gnome, or the X window system installed. Are the X
>window components necessary in order to run VNC? I just want to be able
>to connect and have full control over a system w/ VNC. Telnet doesn't
>allow access to some of the system commands, whereas VNC is like you're
>actually at the terminal.

 If you don't have X installed, then I don't see the point in VNC. Couple
of pointers:

 1) Disable Telnet: it is an insecure protocol (all transmitted via clear
text) that should have died years ago

 2) Install OpenSSH. You can get the source from OpenSSH.org or simply
use the RPM that is on the Yellowdog CD. Ideally you would setup your
sever so that it only uses the SSH2 protocol - to do this edit
/etc/ssh/sshd_config. If you do grab the source from openssh.org,
installation is *really* easy. Chances are this is what you'll want to do:

 ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/openssh-2.9p2.tar.gz

   i) tar -zxvf openssh-2.9p2.tar.gz
  ii) cd openssh-2.9p2
 iii) ./configure --with-md5-passwords --with-pam --with-tcp-wrappers
  iv) make
   v) make install

 Then you should be set. Just make sure the executable 'ssh' is somewhere
in your path like /usr/bin (I don't remember where make install puts it).

 This should give you all the control/access you need to do just about
anything with your server remotely.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada