Re: Mounting ATA Drive with Sonnet Tempo

Subject: Re: Mounting ATA Drive with Sonnet Tempo
linux@demian.shacknet.nu
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 11:40:57 MDT

Iain Stevenson writes:

> Christian,
>
> I have a Sonet ATA card in my Mac. The boot messages aren't terribly
> helpful other than to provide confirmation that the driver is loading OK. I
> assume that the Sonnet card is the only IDE host in your system.
>
> You need to do pdisk -l /dev/hda (or pdisk -l /dev/sdb if the drive's on
> the other connector). This will give you the partition map for the drive.
> If you formatted the drive under MACOS you should see something like:
<SNIP>

This isn't TOTALLY correct. If the machine is a pre-G3 machine, /dev/sdb
will look for the second drive on the SCSI bus, not anything on the Sonnet
card. Anything that's /dev/sd<anything> is looking for SCSI disks, not IDE
disks. It will be /dev/hd<something> most likely.

Without looking at the boot messages, you can't tell what address the drive
is going to have. It could be anything.

Bryn