G4 with Nvidia video card

Subject: G4 with Nvidia video card
From: Denis/Janet Jarvis (dbjarvis@peak.org)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 15:47:04 MDT

I have a 533Mz Mac G4 with Nvidia GeForce2 video driving a 19"
Diamond Pro monitor, purchased in February. With both Mac OS 9.1 and
Mac OS X the picture is excellent. I installed YDL 2.0 in June only
to find that, except for console text, the picture is unusable. I
then read the "Engineers' Notes" which said the Nvidia card is not
supported. Linuxppc.org even goes further:
"NVidia cards in the new Apple G4's do not work. NVidia has not been
pro-active about supporting their hardware under Linux. If you want
to run linux on your machine, DO NOT BUY A MACHINE WITH A NVIDIA
CARD."

Does anyone know what is going on? After 6 months, why is there still
no video driver for Nvidia? Is this a conspiracy to force all owners
of new Macs who want Unix to use Mac OS X instead of Linux? IMHO the
present Aqua interface to Mac OS X is unacceptable and that is why I
am considering Linux+MOL but Mac OS X 10.1, due in September may be
acceptable.
Denis Jarvis