Re: G4 with Nvidia video card

Subject: Re: G4 with Nvidia video card
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 17:09:55 MDT

At 2:47 PM -0700 8/10/01, Denis/Janet Jarvis wrote:

>Does anyone know what is going on? After 6 months, why is there still
>no video driver for Nvidia?

You might as well ask why it also took a long time for Radeon drivers
to appear after the Radeon was introduced on PowerMacs. Driver
development in the Linux world often lags other operating systems.
This is exacerbated by the status of PPC Linux as a community whose
size is a tiny fraction of the size of x86 Linux (sales, users, paid
and unpaid hackers). There is some money available, but (as an
outsider mind you) I'd guess that more of it is spent on development
for embedded/industrial PPC computers than general purpose PowerMac
Linux workstation use. IBM is spending some real money, but their
work is not likely to result in NVidia drivers, since as far as I
know they're not focusing a whole lot on workstations either.

>Is this a conspiracy to force all owners
>of new Macs who want Unix to use Mac OS X instead of Linux?

Please. That's completely absurd.

--
Tim Seufert