Re: G4 with Nvidia video card

Subject: Re: G4 with Nvidia video card
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 17:41:28 MDT

At 5:16 PM -0500 8/10/01, Robert Brandtjen wrote:

>Well, you can bet on it - Jobs is like that, he gives users a "Unix" OS and
>then straddles them with proprietary software solutions - they can't even
>use fsck to correct the fs, they will end up with another Symantec solution,
>same goes with nearly everything else.

What the heck are you talking about? MacOS X comes with:

fsck
fsck_hfs
fsck_msdos

It also comes with a GUI tool ("Disk Utility") to act as a front end
for those who don't want to deal with the command line.

The only deficiency is that you can't repair your root filesystem
without booting into single user mode and using fsck(_hfs) from the
command line. I would point out that virtually every UNIX suffers
from this problem. We'll see if Apple can come up with a way around
it.

>If you install anything and or
>customize it, Apple deletes it on the next software upgrade, which you no
>longer have any choice on what and where it installs - it just over writes
>your files.

I'm guessing that you haven't actually used MacOS X. User
preferences (aka customizations) are stored in the user's home
directory. Software upgrade installers generally do not mess with
home directories. They just install new versions of software,
typically under /Library and /Applications.

--
Tim Seufert