Re: YDl on 6400/180?

Subject: Re: YDl on 6400/180?
From: Tae H. Han (taeh@seas.ucla.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 17:55:13 MDT

Court-

I had a similar problem and it was partially solved thanks to the kind
people on this list.

I have a PPC 7500/100 with 32 Mb RAM. Stock, AFAIK.

I repartitioned my hard drive using the Drive Setup from the OS 8.5 disk
and installed OS 8.5. I would have installed 7.5, except I didn't feel
like download all 18 or so disk images and putting them on floppies. I
then proceeded to install BootX and and then tried booting into the linux
installer.

Problem 1: On this machine, there is something wrong with the scsi
detection or some conflict when the HD is on scsi0 (or was that 1).
Anyhow, this problem results in the loading of the linux installer without
detecting the HD (despite forcing the scsi setting). So I shutdown,
opened up the box, and stuck a pin on the HD so that it would be on scsi2
(All this is detailed on the Quantum site, which is the manufacture of my
HD.). Ok, so that was solved.

Problem 2: I rebooted and then got the BootX extension - unimplemented
trap or something along those lines when I tried to go into linux.
Someone suggested that I flash the eprom, but that didn't work for me.
Someone else suggested that I turn off the BootX extension in the control
panel under MacOS and then run BootX. That solved my problem. As it is
not necessary for me to boot directly into linux, it works for me.

Problem 3: Despite being able to boot into linux, when I repartition and
formatted the drives, the installer died. When I restarted the installer
(after a reboot), it would not read the partition table and would simply
die. I repartition and formatted the hd and tried again. This time the
HD formatted ok.

Problem 4: Now that I have the drives ready, I attempted to install linux.
When I initially tried to install the normal workstation configuration,
the installer complained of not enough space (there was 1 Gb available) so
I installed the minimal configuration. That went smoothly, though it took
so long. I was able to configure my network and I installed the other
components I needed using the rpms that are on the CD.

Linux is not running on my Mac and hopefully this will help you in some
way so that it will run on yours.

Tae

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Court Smith wrote:

> Thanks for your help everyone. So 32 mb of ram, system 8.6 and maybe a
> bigger drive and i will be in business.
>

> Court

Tae H Han

Graduate Student