Re: G4 with Nvidia video card

Subject: Re: G4 with Nvidia video card
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 19:27:02 MDT

At 7:42 PM -0500 8/10/01, Robert Brandtjen wrote:

>Go ahead, customize your httpd.conf file and then let software update update
>your system from 10.0.03 to 10.0.0.4.
>
>Also try to login afterward- see if netinfo remembers you, there is a 50-50
>chance it won't. I know, install OpenSSH and see if works with other systems
>afterward.
>
>Httpd.conf is stored in /etc along with all the other system wide
>configuration files. Not in /Library or /Applications.

Your wording led me to believe you were making a universal claim;
sounded as though you believed anything and everything would get
blown away if you did an upgrade.

Yes, the MacOS X Installer probably should do something akin to RPM
when the update installs a new version of a config file in /etc. RPM
either moves the original to .rpmsave or leaves it in place and
creates a .rpmnew.

Never had any trouble with NetInfo. Nor OpenSSH, aside from the well
known problems in 10.0.4 (fails to connect to most systems unless you
force use of Blowfish). They fixed it; the "Web Sharing Update"
installs a new version.

--
Tim Seufert