Re: Adding paths..?

Subject: Re: Adding paths..?
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 10:39:39 MDT

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Alan Orth wrote:
>On 8/11/01 5:29 AM, "Sean O. Denney" <sdenney@cise.ufl.edu> wrote:
>
>> Edit your /etc/profile and add the paths you need to PATH
>>
>> --- Sean
>
>In my /etc/profile I noticed the following:
>
>PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
>
>Is that where I add /sbin, or any other directory I want to store other
>programs??

 Not if you only want to modify your own account, what you should be
updating your path is in ~/.bash_profile. The file /etc/profile will
affect all users.

 NOTE: Some people like to put './' as a path in their profile. This is
generally a *BAD* idea. An even worse idea is putting './' before /bin, as
all someone has to do is make a shell script that has 'rm -rf ~/' and call
it 'ls'. This would be bad.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada