RE: VNC Server

Subject: RE: VNC Server
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 10:48:07 MDT

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Brian Watson wrote:
>I have SSH installed, but I still can't access system commands like
>setup, shutdown, etc, etc... How can I access these commands
>remotely?

 I'm not quite sure what you are asking. If you have ssh installed and
sshd is running, then on a remote machine use an ssh client to connect to
your server. Chances are that the commands you are looking for are only
accessible by the superuser (root). So, you have to either connect as user
root, or preferably use sudo (man sudo).

 Then if you wanted to shutdown the machine remotely you would type:

[user@hostname user]$ sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now

This will probably prompt you for a password, and then execute the
command.

NOTE: You have to setup your user account to have access to sudo, type
'man sudoers' for more info on how to do this.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada