Re: Sendmail help

Subject: Re: Sendmail help
From: Charlie Watts (cewatts@frontier.net)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 12:55:58 MDT

On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Brian Watson wrote:

> Whenever I try to send messages via sendmail they keep getting bounced
> back. The message includes dns.majuki.com.majuki.com, but that is
> incorrect. I have the MX record as mail.majuki.com, but I want to
> just be able to send to user@majuki.com and have it be delivered to
> the right place. What isn't setup correctly that would be resulting
> in the dns.majuki.com.majuki.com error? I've checked the DNS records,
> and they seem fine.

domain-doubling at the end of a hostname in DNS is almost always the
result of not putting a terminating "." at the end of the hostname.

You probably have:

dns.majuki.com IN A ip.ad.dr.ess

But should have either:

dns.majuki.com. IN A ip.ad.dr.ess

or

dns IN A ip.ad.dr.ess

(or something similar).

Does that help? That might be confusing sendmail a bit. Or I could be
completely off. :-)

--
Charlie Watts
cewatts@frontier.net