new to YDL... some questions

Subject: new to YDL... some questions
From: Daniel J. Patnaude (Daniel.J.Patnaude@Dartmouth.EDU )
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 14:23:21 MDT

Hi
I just switched from LinuxPPC to YDL 2.0. I like it alot,
but have some questions:

1: swap is being enabled, but apparently not being used,
ever. I have a Beige G3, with a G4 upgrade card, and 512 MB
of ram. Previously, (read: before the upgrade card), I used
swap regularly. Is this normal?

2: The time is constantly being set to GMT. How can I change
this in rc.sysinit

3: I have MATSUSHITA DVD-ROM acting as a master, and a
Creative Labs CD-RW acting as the slave on my IDE bus (hdc,
and hdd). All the other disks are scsi. I am running the
stock 2.2.19 kernel which ships with YDL, and has ide-scsi
as a module. Previously, I had just compiled ide-scsi
directly into the kernel. I have also set up the correct
loop devices, as well as sg devices, as described in the
CDROM burning how to. Under LinuxPPC, ide-scsi would be
enabled before it registered the scsi hosts. Then it would
register 3 scsi hosts (2 real + 1 ide-scsi). Now, it only
sees the 2 scsi hosts, and treats the ide as ide. What
kernel args can I pass in BootX (and what is the format for
doing this) that will enable ide-scsi to load before the
kernel registers the scsi host adapters? If this cannot be
done, then it is easier to just recompile my kernel, which
leads to question 4...

4: gcc "seems" broken. When trying to compile a kernel with
a config file that I know works, cc1 randomly has fatal
errors, of type 4 and 11. This is frustrating in that I can
do a make vmlinux, then it crashes, and I do a make vmlinux
again. This can be done successively, but I believe that the
binaries that are finally created are rendered useless. Has
anyone else seen this? I have already done a reinstall of
YDL 2.0, in the hope that some packages hadn't been
installed, but to no avail. This is a serious bug. I am
running gcc version 2.95.3.

Any suggestions (except rtfm) on any of the above problems
would be extremely helpful.

TIA,
-Dan