Re: Proftpd questions...

Subject: Re: Proftpd questions...
From: Robert Vogt IV (robert@arborhost.com)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 21:44:57 MDT

        Brian,

> Is proftpd similar to tftpd in the system services portion of setup?
> I have tftpd selected to startup at system boot time, but it fails to
> do so. In the proftpd.conf I have this:
>
> ServerName "ProFTPD"
> ServerType inetd
> DefaultServer on
>

> When I try to execute proftpd, it says:
>
> bigred.majuki.com - Fatal: Socket operation on non-socket
> bigred.majuki.com - (Running from command line? Use `ServerType
> standalone' in config file!)
>
> I changed the server type to standalone, but then I can't control it
> with xinetd. I want ftp to startup automatically when the computer
> starts up, but it isn't. Can anyone point out what the problem might
> be? Thanks.

        In inetd mode, the server is launched by inetd as-needed
(i.e. when someone connects to port 21). In standalone mode, the server
launches at startup and stays up. These two modes are mutually exclusive
- you have to pick one or the other... :)

        Hope this explains the problem.

                        Sincerely,

                        Robert Vogt IV
                        ArborHost