Re: Proftpd questions...

Subject: Re: Proftpd questions...
From: Graham Leggett (minfrin@sharp.fm)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 04:08:39 MDT

Brian Watson wrote:

> So, if I want ftp to be running all of the time I should have it in
> standalone mode? How can anyone connect if it's in inetd? Someone
> with a typical ftp client can't connect if the server isn't already
> up. ?

You can only use one or the other - standalone, or running from inetd.
If you configure both at the same time whichever runs first (either
inetd or ftpd) will bind to the socket, and the thing that runs second
will fail.

What inetd does is it binds to the port (in this case the ftp port 21)
and waits for a connection (from say an ftp client). When this happens,
the ftp daemon is started, the request is handled, and the ftp daemon
goes away again. This is good for not-often-used services - you don't
have daemons floating around on your machine taking up system resources
when you do not need them.

This means that a typical ftp client CAN connect if the server is not
already up - because inetd will start a single server instance for them,
and tear it down when they are finished.

In short - if you will only be using ftp occasionally - configure it to
start from inetd. If you are trying to set up a dedicated ftp server for
many people to use, set it up as standalone.

Regards,
Graham

minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street