Re: Display name

Subject: Re: Display name
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 22:13:16 MDT

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Brian Watson wrote:
>Where can I change my name that's displayed for a user's account and the
>return e-mail address? Thanks.

 I'm not sure by your question, but I think you are referring to
/etc/passwd.

 Each entry in /etc/password should take this form:

user:PASSWD:UID#:GID#:User's Name:$HOME:$SHELL

the colons are the separators. An example might be like this:

chris:x:501:501:Christopher Murtagh:/home/chris:/bin/bash

 Where my user ID and group IDs are 501, and the rest should be obvious.
The 'x' where PASSWD should be might or might not be on your system
depending on whether you have shadow passwords or not. If you don't (not
recommended) you would have the user's hashed password which might look
something like 'yE4Nnk1JjGT4Bhdwdd1'.

 So, if you edit this file, and change the 5th entry you would change the
user's real name.

 If I have completely misunderstood your question, then the answer might
simply be to configure your email client's settings to put whatever you
want (which depends greatly on which client you are using). However, PINE
will grab the real user's name from /etc/passwd by default unless you
change it to something else.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada