Re: YDL 2.0 problems

Subject: Re: YDL 2.0 problems
From: Gavin Hemphill (hemphill@drea.dnd.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 06:57:55 MDT

Dan:
        I've downloaded the kernel-2.4.8-0.4c kernel you mentioned in the message below and tried it on a PowerMac3,4 (733Mhz) machine with the Nvdia card (I have no idea what the accepted name for this
machine is). YDL2.0 was yup'd up to date as of this morning (Aug 13th) before I tried it. The good news is that it appears to work with the Adaptec AHA-7850 card (ben's unmodified 2.4.8-pre4-ben0's
kernel doesn't). The bad news is that unless you use the "novideo" argument the monitor still goes into standby mode on startup. I've tried with no video args (as opposed to novideo), and with
"video=1280x1024-9@85" and "video=nvdafb:1280x1024-8@85" these start booting then switch the monitor to standby. If you try a startx with the "novideo" argument the color map is wrong. If you have
any other test kernels to try please let me know.
        Gavin Hemphill

P.S. forgot to mention that the Apple firmware update for the nvdia card has been applied.