Re: Yup: minimal list / upgrade?

Subject: Re: Yup: minimal list / upgrade?
From: Keith Dawson (dawson@world.std.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 10:47:46 MDT

>> Correspondingly, how do I tell yup to:
>>
>> Update those packages currently installed for which a later version
>> is available

>yup list updates
> list all packages with updates available in the yup repository.
>
>does this do what you want?

Thanks. Hard to say. It certainly doesn't agree with my by-hand comparison
of installed vs. available. Here's the output of 'yup list updates':

  [root]# yup list updates
  Reading RPM database... (100%)
  Performing dependencies sanity check...
  Checking for package list updates...
  Package list is up to date...
  Reading package list... (100%)
  Updated packages:
  Package Name Version
  kernel 2.2.19-1k
  kernel 2.2.19-1k
  kernel 2.2.19-1k
  kernel 2.2.19-1k
  krb5-libs 1.2.2-12
  modutils 2.4.3-1b
  netatalk 1:1.5pre2-6b
  openssh 2.9p2-1
  openssh-clients 2.9p2-1
  openssh-server 2.9p2-1
  vim-minimal 5.7-8
  xinetd 2.3.0-1.71
  xinetd 2.3.0-1.71
  yi 1.0.2-1
  yi 1.0.2-1
  yi 1.0.2-1
  yi 1.0.2-1
  yi 1.0.2-1
  yi 1.0.2-1
  [root]#

Removing the redundancies (what's up with that?), yup tells me that
10 package updates are available:

  kernel 2.2.19-1k
  krb5-libs 1.2.2-12
  modutils 2.4.3-1b
  netatalk 1:1.5pre2-6b
  openssh 2.9p2-1
  openssh-clients 2.9p2-1
  openssh-server 2.9p2-1
  vim-minimal 5.7-8
  xinetd 2.3.0-1.71
  yi 1.0.2-1

My by-hand comparison shows 25 packages whose version number at the
mirror is later than what is installed locally:

  dev 3.1.0-14a
  fetchmail 5.8.14-1
  gnupg 1.0.6-1
  kernel 2.2.19-1k
  krb5-libs 1.2.2-12
  MAKEDEV 3.1.0-14a
  man 1.5i2-0.7x
  minicom 1.83.1-8
  modutils 2.4.3-1b
  netatalk 1:1.5pre2-6b
  openldap 1.2.12-1a
  openssh 2.9p2-1
  openssh-clients 2.9p2-1
  openssh-server 2.9p2-1
  openssl 0.9.6-9
  procmail 3.21-0.71
  proftpd 1.2.0rc2-2c
  screen 3.9.5-13a
  telnet 0.17-18
  telnet-server 0.17-18
  vim-common 5.7-8
  vim-minimal 5.7-8
  xinetd 2.3.0-1.71
  yi 1.0.2-1
  yup 0.7.6-2

At least yup's list is a proper subset.

So would it be reasonable to assume that 'yup update' would update the
10 packages listed by 'yup list updates'? And would 'yi' get updated 6
times (and so forth)?