Re: Compiling RTL82139 - Fixed it!

Subject: Re: Compiling RTL82139 - Fixed it!
From: Aake Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 13:12:08 MDT

FYI - today I successfully compiled two modules. What I think solved
my earlier compilation problems was that I lacked the complete source
code for kernel 2.2.19-1k. After installing the complete YDL2.0
package from the install CD I noticed the new directory with the
kernel source and pionted GCC to that with the -I command and it
worked! (I also found it at Terraplex FTP-site). However, I was
compiling a new module/driver for my cheap (too cheap) Unex /Realtek
8139 NIC and the card still doesn't work. 'Oversized ethernet frame'
or whatever comes up again, though the command 'dmesg | grep rtl8139'
tells me that I now have the driver 1.13 instead of 1.07.

So, might I be correct in assuming that for a succesful compilation
you need to have the correct kernel source code installed? At least
for modules?

Regards,

Ake Svensson, Linux Newbie