Re: Disk space requirements?

Subject: Re: Disk space requirements?
From: Nathan Buck (nathb@efn.org)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 22:22:36 MDT

Greg Swallow wrote:

>According to the installation guide, "for the Linux side, a minimum of
>500 MB is required for the Home/Office installation, but 2 GB is
>preferred".
>
>I tried installing YDL 2.0 on a disk drive with ~ 800 MB free after swap
>and boot sector, and it gives up, claiming I don't have enough disk
>space. I don't see a way to customize which packages I install...what
>gives?

Depending on the type of package you selected to install its very likely
you are out of space. 800MB is not very much space of a user
installation of Linux. If you did a minimal package install you would
be left with ~ 400MB but would need to install X windows, KDE or GNOME,
relevant application software and many additional utilities. That would
easily eat up the rest of that space.

I chose a developer install, and after I removed KDE and many of the
-devel packages and other bits I don't use, installed the latest
mozilla, and setup my user directly with my GIMP profile, XMMS and other
personalization config files, I was at 1.1GB disc usage.

You'll definitely want at least 2GB to get a decent workstation linux
install. Server installs can be stripped down because you don't need X
or end user applications, but if you want to use your computer...

__nate.