Re: Security Issues...

Subject: Re: Security Issues...
From: Brent Cantrell (slycer9@mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 23:39:54 MDT

While port masking is done by ipchains, it's not the same as blocking ports
and such, it's sole purpose it to act as NAT translation. Within your
ipchains script, you also specify what ports will accept connections, IE:
ipchains -A -s hackers.com -d 65.88.92.9 80 -p tcp -j DENY what this
particular line does, is denies anyone from the domain hackers.com from
accessing your webserver (65.88.92.9 port 80 using protocol tcp). You can
make your firewall dissapear, ipchains -A input -p udp -j DENY , setup dmz's
port forwarding, anything you want to do. and you don't have to dedicate a
machine to do it, just set it up from within the machine you're providing
the services on.