mime-type bug? : Please Help reproduce

Subject: mime-type bug? : Please Help reproduce
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 14:14:40 MDT

 Greetings Yellowdog folks,

 Recently at our university, we have put our course calendar online for
the first time. All seemed to be going well, but we have been getting a
number of people who have been having problems with pdf downloads from our
server. I have been unable to reproduce this in my office, but did see it
go wonky in other people's offices.

 I suspected it was a mime-type configuration problem, but that wouldn't
explain why it is happening sporadically. So far, the only people that
seem to have problems are Windows users. Mac and Linux seems to work fine.
What seems to be happening is that the windows browser is reading the HTTP
header as part of a text file, so it dumps the entire thing into the
browser window (HTTP header, and raw pdf). To make things stranger, when I
transfer the PDFs from my YDL machine (running Apache/1.3.14) to a Solaris
machine (running Apache/1.3.12), the file downloads without any problems.
Both machines have almost the exact configuration and the same mime.types
files. Maybe this is an Apache bug in version 1.3.14?

  So, I am sending this out to see if anyone can reproduce this problem.
If you have time, please go to the following URL and try to download any
of the PDFs there.

http://www.mcgill.ca/courses/pdfs/test/

 If you have any problems, or not, please let me know. Also, if you have
heard of this happening elsewhere and might know of a fix/patch, I would
*greatly* appreciate it (many beers for you). TIA.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada