Re: Kernel2.4 problems on ibook2

Subject: Re: Kernel2.4 problems on ibook2
ghannon@cspi.com
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 11:30:57 MDT

mpople wrote

> Hi,
> I upgraded to kernel 2.4 from the taasty morsel CD with RPM -ivh
> when i boot i get 3quaters of the screen on top and then the remaining
part
> of the screen is the top quater, so i get 2 penguins(using
> video=aty128fb:vmode:14 didnt fix this either) plus it just sits on
> sound module (dmasound_pmac) forever and never fails so i can get into my
> system to revert to 2.2 (coz i cant remeber what the 2.2 image was named
and
> if i use the rescue disc /boot isnot mounted)
> does anyone have any clues on my kernel problems and also what is the
> default boot image name for kernel2.2 so i can boot back into my system
and
> rid it of 2.4
> Cheers
> mark

You should be able to get beyond the sound module "block" as follows:

boot from the rescue CD and there will be a directory "root" with nothing
in it.

providing you know which partition is your root (/) partition, you can then
mount /.

mount /dev/hdaX root (substitute your / partition # for X)

Now you can see your / partition in the /root directory.

To get rid of the stop in booting, you need to remove (comment out?) the
dmasound_pmac line from
modules.dep. modules.dep can be found at /root/lib/modules/2.4.4-1a.

Remove the line containing dmasound_pmac and then reboot and you should
have 2.4 up and running.

I'm not sure about the video issue.
Maybe run Xautoconfig when you get in.
If you are booting into the X environment, perhaps you would want to change
that while you are in rescue mode.

edit /root/etc/inittab
change the line

id:5:initdefault: