Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info

Subject: Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info
From: Rich Frueh (rvfrueh@excite.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 15:39:01 MDT

>Subject: Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info
>From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
>Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 18:14:45 MDT

>I'm on a 6500/300 and I had the same problem with the network
>configuration installer. So, I switched to the text installer. The
>system out hang when I went to set the settings manually. However, I
>seletected DHCP, and that worked fine. After the installation was
>complete, I went back and changed my settings manually. However,
>the blue background of netconfig stays even after I update the
>settings, so I have to press return, logout, and log back in. I
>haven't noticed any performance problems, as I matter of fact I'm
>running my web server off of it now:

Brian,

Thanks for your information. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. I cannot ever
get my ethernet card to activate. If I look at my router, it never gets a
link from the card.

Here's what I have done:

First, I went to Farallon's web page to find out if they knew how to get the
card working under Linux. Of course, they don't support it, but they do say
it uses the DEC 21143 chipset, and that the TULIP driver under OSX will
work. Tried to fidn where to tell YellowDog to use a TULIP driver. No
dice.

Erased the HD< installed LinuxPPC. This actually did fire up the ethernet
card during install, and it took an address. Rebooted, no link light, no
network. Fine, go in and try to figure out what I need to do to get my
machine to see its ethernet card.

Still no dice.

Reformatted again, decided to give YDL a try again, now that I know which
driver it is, and have done some reading on kernel arguments in Intel Linux
(RedHat). Give the kernel an "ether=tulip" argument. Nothing. Say "ah,
the hell with it" and skip the network stuff etnirely, and install the rest
of YDL again, then try and play. Unfortunately, I can't find a guide beyond
the base installation guide, so I'm wondering if a RedHat book would help.
Look through the KDE menus and find 'kernelcfg'. Aha. Run that. Put in
eth0 as a tulip device. Now what? Do I need to relink the kernel? Do
something else entirely?

I do really want to use Linux on this box, and to do that it ahs to have
networking. Any help?

Also, do the instructions for enabling sound for 1.2 apply for 2.0? Because
I can't get sound to work, and every time it boots I get an error about a
dependency module not being found.

Thanks,

Rich Frueh
Frustrated Linux Wannabeauser