Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info

Subject: Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 17:11:18 MDT

> >Subject: Re: Problems installing on 6500/225; more info
>>From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
>>Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 18:14:45 MDT
>

> >I'm on a 6500/300 and I had the same problem with the network
>>configuration installer. So, I switched to the text installer. The
>>system out hang when I went to set the settings manually. However, I
>>seletected DHCP, and that worked fine. After the installation was
>>complete, I went back and changed my settings manually. However,
>>the blue background of netconfig stays even after I update the
>>settings, so I have to press return, logout, and log back in. I
>>haven't noticed any performance problems, as I matter of fact I'm
>>running my web server off of it now:
>

>Brian,
>
>Thanks for your information. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. I cannot ever
>get my ethernet card to activate. If I look at my router, it never gets a
>link from the card.

Alright...I thought this was a issue with resolving dns. I didn't
know you don't have a link at all. I had some trouble getting Red
Hat to recognize a Netgear card. I tried messing around with the
tulip driver, and tried to follow some guides online, but none of
them ever worked. This was the frustration that led me away from
Linux for a few months, so I know how annoying something like this
can be. I'm sure that there are some help files or solutions for
your card if you search around some of the linux sites.

--Brian