Beginner problem: No Printing, no CDRom mounting

Subject: Beginner problem: No Printing, no CDRom mounting
LlaniteDav@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 00:47:50 MDT

After installing YDL 2.0 on a beige 233MHZ G-3, I attempted to print a test
page off both Gnome and KDE. I got no response. Entering KDE's print system
manager, it could detect and recognize my Epson Stylus Color 600 on the local
serial port (ttyS1), but when commanded to print, returns the error message
"hostname 'localhost' bad".

Same error when using the lpc status command from the terminal window.

Thinking I had a problem with the lpc driver, I attempted to mount the Tasty
Morsels CDROM from the both the Gnome and KDE desktops. Again, the system
recognizes and identifies the CDROM drive properly, but returns an error on
mount that says "the kernal does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device.
(maybe 'insmod driver'?)"

Does anyone understand any of this? I'm about 75% dead in the water without
the ability to read the CDROM or print.

(In addition, the system can't see the standard hfs partition that contains
the Mac system folder. It should, shouldn't it?)

Any good advice will be absorbed gratefully...

David Merritt
Data-Web Management