Re: Yellow Dog and ADC

Subject: Re: Yellow Dog and ADC
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2001 - 02:19:07 MDT

on 17/8/01 6:38 am, Patrick Smith at patsmith@pobox.com wrote:

>> I'm trying to install yellow dog on a G4 533, the ones with digital
>> audio right before the new quicksilvers, however, there is a wrinkle,
>> I'm using an Apple 15inch ADC studio display. Everything installs
>> fine, but my problem is that even after I put the suggested line at
>> yaboot prompt: linux video=aty128fb:vmode:14 and then try and setup
>> up X manually, I still get a crazy blinking power thing on the
>> monitor even though I know it's booting as everything is spinning and
>> whirliing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Instead of setting up X manually, try using Xautoconfig. That worked
> for me (with the 17 inch ADC display).

YDL2 runs Xautoconfig4 from within rc.sysinit so any changes you make to the
X config may be overwritten at boot time. Xautoconfig works most of the
time but isn't 100% correct on every system configuration.

So, even if you get X working manually, you may find yourself back at square
one after a reboot. Make sure you keep a copy of your modified
XF86Config-4.

  Iain