8139too & kernel 2.4.8?

Subject: 8139too & kernel 2.4.8?
From: Aake Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 03:28:56 MDT

Sorry to bother you guys again! I've succesfully installed kernel
2.4.8-0.4c with driver 8139too (version 0.9.18) compiled into kernel
and a second 'make' with 8139too as module. Trying both versions of
this kernel doesn't make my linux box appear in my G4's appletalk
chooser. It did before even with kernel 2.4.8 via the built in NIC
(eth0 on a PPC7600). The NIC does however show up at startup - eth1 -
and with Ethertalk activated when I do 'ifconfig'. I can also ping
the card from within the linux box, both at its ip 192.168.1.1 and
127.0.01 without any errors. Furthermore, there aren't any other
error messages from eth1 as there were when I ran kernel 2.2.19-1k
and module rtl8139.o.
When I do 'lsmod' when module compiled into kernel it doesn't show
8139too, but when compiled as a module together with the kernel it
does show up with 'lsmod'.

Is there something I've missed in configuring appletalk? I've noticed
that there are a few new appletalk modules in kernel 2.4.8 but when I
tried to compile them all into a new boot kernel the compilation
failed with an error "1".

Or is it the network which is new to kernel 2.4.8?
Or is it that my Unex NIC has the Realtek 8139C chip ?

Regards,

Åke Svensson, Sweden, Newbie!
PS I've come a long way even to compiling new kernels! But there's
still a long and winding way to go.... But it's fun! "Not close to
giving up at all!"