Re: Looking for KVM recommendations

Subject: Re: Looking for KVM recommendations
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 09:52:44 MDT

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
>The old 4-port model of the MiniView USB is "dumb". That is, it
>cannot intercept keystrokes to use as a trigger to switch. Also, it
>works by doing the equivalent of pulling the USB cord from one
>computer and plugging it into another. They have a newer 4-port
>model (which is more expensive than the old) that maintains virtual
>USB keyboards and mice for each computer instead.

 I've been using a StarView 4 port USB KVM:

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/Startech_StarView_Server_Sharer_4-Port_KVM_Switch.htm

 It works fairly well and was inexpensive. The delay between switches is
minimal (about 2 seconds), so it isn't a big ordeal. However, I do have to
unplug and replug my mouse (immdeiately after switching only) every now
and again. This is a bit of a pain. Perhaps the model that Timothy
mentions above might solve this problem.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada