Re: How to install YDL 2.0 on an RS/6000

Subject: Re: How to install YDL 2.0 on an RS/6000
From: Leigh Brown (leigh@solinno.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 15:37:42 MDT

Steve wrote:
> I have had absolutely no luck in installing on any RS/6000.
>
> I have access to a lot of different models and have tried a lot.
>
> Following the E-mails here it looks like YDL is no longer
> interested.
>
> I maybe mistaken but has somebody succesfully installed but just did
> not like the operating system. If so please tell
> me which RS/6000 and how.
>
> Everybody I know seems to have got as far as booting a
> kernel and then it failing arounf the USB area.

For the record I have YDL 2.0 running on my 7043-140 at the moment.
To get this running I had to (IIRC):

1) Build my own kernel (7043-140 specific issue). I think I had to
   compile in the USB stuff so that the /proc/bus/usb filesystem
   could be mounted (fatal error in installer if it couldn't).

2) Patch the kernel to allow compressed ramdisks to span multiple
   floppies (because 7043-140 cannot boot YDL from CD). I used dd
   to copy the /install/ramdisk-text.image.gz file to three floppies
   (but see 5) also, below). I have the patch floating around if
   anyone is interested.

3) Get rid of AIX - installer logic could not handle AIX partitions
   (should be a simple fix to make it ignore them instead).

4) Not create a swap partition - the installer crashed if I created
   a swap partition. The work around was to leave a gap at the end of
   the disk then add the swap partition after the install. This may
   have something to do with the prep boot partition I created but
   I'm not sure.

5) Comment out a line in one of the files on the initial ramdisk. I
   _think_ it was the
   echo "1" > /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes
   line in /bin/runinstaller, but I can't quite remember.

I think that was it. I'm going to re-install it over the next few
days so if I do anything very different to the above I'll post a
correction.

Cheers,

Leigh.