Re: failed to install iptables rpm

Subject: Re: failed to install iptables rpm
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 20 2001 - 20:09:32 MDT

At 2:39 PM -0700 8/20/01, Murias O'Ceallagh wrote:

>2) not that crazy about the rpm kernels. (no offence to the ones that
>build them) just like to limit the over head that some of them have and
>make sure that certain things are in it.

You can have it both ways -- install the RPM kernel to satisfy the
RPM dependencies, then use your own custom compiled kernel anyways.
If you need to avoid name conflicts with a RPM kernel, edit the Linux
kernel Makefile before building and define a value for EXTRAVERSION.

For example, you could make EXTRAVERSION "murias", which will make
the version string of a 2.4.8 kernel become "2.4.8-murias". In this
scenario, after compiling the kernel and modules, "make
modules_install" will put the modules under
/lib/modules/2.4.8-murias/. The kernel itself should be copied to
/boot/vmlinux-2.4.8-murias, and the System.map should be copied to
/boot/System.map-2.4.8-murias. Then edit /etc/yaboot.conf and set it
up to load vmlinux-2.4.8-murias, run ybin, and you're ready to go.
(Or use whatever other bootloader setup is required -- old world Macs
use BootX for example.)

>3) installing with nodeps is not advised... reasoning here. I am quite
>sure that I have all the deps installed. Been over the iptables help
>pages at http://ipmasq.cjb.net/ and
>http://www.e-infomax.com/ipmasq/howto/beta/c-html/index.html several
>times. Having never even tried a nodeps install, I am quite curious as
>to the reasons.

It's good to keep RPM dependencies sane. If you go about breaking
dependencies between packages, RPM may not do the right thing some
time in the future.

That said, if you know what you're doing you can get away with it.

One last point of advice -- most people put their own kernel source
under /usr/src/linux, and compile kernels as root. There is actually
no need to do this. You can put the kernel source tree under your
own directory, and compile it as a regular user. You only need to be
root to install the compiled kernel and its modules.

This has the advantage of allowing you to leave whatever the
distribution put under /usr/src/linux (frequently kernel headers)
alone. In some cases you may need to symlink /usr/src/linux to point
at your build tree, but this only applies when compiling software
that depends far too heavily on kernel headers for its own good.
(Theoretically, user space programs should never include kernel
headers at all, and the core kernel hackers, including Linus
Torvalds, are trying to discourage it. But in practice some programs
do include them, and sometimes you may need to get the headers from
the kernel you're actually running rather than the placeholders from
the distribution's kernel source or kernel header packages.)

The really cool thing about doing everything in your home dir is that
if you should need to reinstall Linux, or move your environment to
another computer, your environment is neatly encapsulated in
basically two places: your home dir, and /etc. Tarball 'em both,
move the home dir over, unpack the clone of /etc under the new home
dir, and go to work redoing your new distribution's /etc config files
by comparing old with new. This is especially useful when moving
between distributions from different vendors.

--
Tim Seufert