Re: failed to install iptables rpm

Subject: Re: failed to install iptables rpm
From: Murias O'Ceallagh (linux@dragonsblood.net)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 00:31:03 MDT

Tim,
Thank you so much for your explanation. It rocked. I am one of those
that lieks to understand why I can or can't do something.

Your explanation though raises two questions.
1) in reference to the stuff below that I snipped in.. How is this done?
I thought with a rpm you just rpm --install <package> .... If it requires
a source rpm.. I have actually been looking for docs on how to use those
appropriately and not found all that much. ie the man page and the
how-to's at linuxdoc.

>>2) not that crazy about the rpm kernels. (no offence to the ones that
>>build them) just like to limit the over head that some of them have and
>>make sure that certain things are in it.
>
>You can have it both ways -- install the RPM kernel to satisfy the
>RPM dependencies, then use your own custom compiled kernel anyways.
>If you need to avoid name conflicts with a RPM kernel, edit the Linux
>kernel Makefile before building and define a value for EXTRAVERSION.
>
>For example, you could make EXTRAVERSION "murias", which will make
>the version string of a 2.4.8 kernel become "2.4.8-murias". In this
>scenario, after compiling the kernel and modules, "make
>modules_install" will put the modules under
>/lib/modules/2.4.8-murias/. The kernel itself should be copied to
>/boot/vmlinux-2.4.8-murias, and the System.map should be copied to
>/boot/System.map-2.4.8-murias. Then edit /etc/yaboot.conf and set it
>up to load vmlinux-2.4.8-murias, run ybin, and you're ready to go.
>(Or use whatever other bootloader setup is required -- old world Macs
>use BootX for example.)

second question, I have tried to install the kernel in rpm format and got
an error (stated in one of my previous postings) the exact error that
machine spewed forth to me;
only packages with major numbers <= 3 are supported by this version of RPM

thus I was unable to install a kernel from rpm.

thanx.

Murias