Upgrading to 9.2 on a NW machine with YDL2.0 installed

Subject: Upgrading to 9.2 on a NW machine with YDL2.0 installed
From: Gavin Hemphill (hemphill@drea.dnd.ca)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2001 - 04:27:12 MDT

This is just a quick message for those of you who are about to upgrade
your machines from 9.1 to 9.2.1. When you do this (I think it has
something to do with the upgrade to the disk drivers) you'll find that
your Boot partition suddenly gets mounted on the desktop and you can no
longer boot into Linux. After a number of hours of hair pulling, I
found that it is possible to recover without too much trouble. You will
have to have a valid kernel for your machine in /boot/vmlinux for this
to work. Here's what I did (note. this was with the text based installer):
1) boot from the install CD and proceed through the install to the point
that you can edit the partitions. (N.B. make sure you select the custom
install when that question shows up).
2) delete the Boot partition (In my case 35MB), and add it back in.
3) proceed to the mount screen and mount the partitions (the defaults
should be correct but you may want to check them).
4) skip over the steps (down arrow key) until you get to the one to
install the bootloader, and then do that one
5) reboot and things should be happy.

This will install the default yaboot.conf so you'll have to re-edit it
 and run ybin if you had modified it.
    G++