Re: PPP kernel 2.4.x?

Subject: Re: PPP kernel 2.4.x?
From: Aake Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 06:32:39 MDT

>Aake,
>
>on 23/8/01 10:36 am, Aake Svensson at aakesve@algonet.se wrote:
>
>> * Trying 'pppd' only. at the command line produces garbled lines of
>> text until the prompt comes back again.
>> *Trying exactly to write scripts as recommended in the pppd man page
>> and running "pppd call 'script' " only gets me back to the prompt
> > without any delay and/or messages.
>
>It's a long time since I used pppd ... but, maybe it's outputting the ppp
>protocol stuff to the console. It would certainly look like garbled text.
>
>I think it's a bit unusual to start pppd from the command line - you'd
>usually only start it once a modem connection is established using a utility
>such as 'chat'.
>

> Iain

I know, I try pppd just to see what's happening and I used to get the
message about "Kernel lacks ppp support ..., but now it's just
garbled.
I've also tried 'ppp call 'script' ' which man pppd recommends and
that just gives a prompt.

In a new reply to my first mail I've included some error messages
from dmesg and /var/log/messages, please take a look at them! Hope
they can shed some light on the matter.

I understand that PPP is not a common Unix/Linux thing as most Linux
people roam around in large networks or on large servers, but one has
to start somewhere to learn, especially since the learning curve is
so fascinating!

Regards,
Aake Svensson