Re: sftp problem

Subject: Re: sftp problem
From: A S Hodel (a.s.hodel@Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 10:09:05 MDT

> Scott,
>
>> [scotte@hodel scotte]$ sftp ftp.eng.auburn.edu
>> Executing ssh2 failed. Command:' ssh2 -x -a -o passwordprompt
>>%U@%H's password:
>> -o nodelay yes -o authenticationnotify yes ftp.eng.auburn.edu -s
>> sftp' System error message: 'No such file or directory'
>> Warning: child process (ssh2) exited with code 255.
>>
>> This is, no doubt, a "what an idiot" kind of question, but I'll
>> confess to the title if someone
>> will point the way. :-)
>
> I've never used sftp, but my guess would be its trying to call ssh
>to encapsulate the data.... but its looking for 'ssh2' instead of
>'ssh'. Try making a symlink in /usr/bin from 'ssh2' to 'ssh' - that
>should fix the problem. :)
>

> -Robert Vogt IV

Once again, a bit of progress, but no success:
$ sftp
sftp: open [external machine name]
opening connection to [external machine name]
command-line: line 0: Bad configuration option: passwordprompt
Warning: child process (ssh2) exited with code 1.

I've checked: sshd2 is indeed running on the external machine, and as
a temporary stop-gap I
can sftp from the external machine back to my YDL machine, but I'd
like to see this work properly.

A. S. Hodel 200 Broun Hall Dept. Elect. & Comp. Eng., Auburn Univ. AL
36849-5201
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte   334 844 1854  Fax: -1809