RE: RE: Re: Michael: printing+reformatting hda13 from ext2 to hfs

Subject: RE: RE: Re: Michael: printing+reformatting hda13 from ext2 to hfs
From: Ruprecht, Chris (cruprech@compucom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 13:38:31 MDT

Hi Chris,

Well, at the moment it's all just in the planning stage. I have one box
(AMD-850) which runs the software right now. The volume is relatively
low, we get between 50'000 and 150'000 new records a day and the machine
can cope just fine. However, we're planning increase this to maybe a
million, maybe 10 million new records a day and this is when the single
processor will stop to cope.
I do not yet have any details about the Alpha box, a local company is in
the process of moving their software from that machine over to a huge
Sun ES10000 server (with 7 TB of disk space ;). Once they have completed
the project, they will get rid of the Alpha box(es) and I might be able
to pick one up if I donate some money to a good cause - or something
like that. I have worked 'on' the machine before and it's pretty fast,
it used to support 500+ users simultaneously, but I have never actually
seen the box itself. AFAIK, it has 4 GB of RAM and some RAID disks, but
again, no details.

But, at this point in time, as I'm not sure when I can get the Alpha
machine, I would like to know what the speed differences between a Mac
and an Intel box would be. I know the G4 is way fastern than the Intel
chips, but a machine is not just the processor alone and the times where
I fall for the marketing hype of this or that company went out with the
70s ;).
I'm after real life database performance details. Unfortunately, my YDL
box, a PM 9600, running YDL 1.2.1, is a little 'aged' and I would not
quite trust any speed tests I do with it. The internal SCSI adaptor
tells me that it syncs at 5 MB/sec to the 18 GB Ultra160 drive, I have
in there. I know, I should try an adaptec 29160 but the only one I have
(actually a 39160) is PC-only and the Mac doesn't recognize it, no
matter how hard I try. I could go and throw a lot of money at this old
box, but it's not worth it, so I'm not even going to try. But I'm also
not quite willing to invest into one of the new G4 (yet), since I don't
know what it's performance will be.

Best regards,
Chris