Happy, Happy! Joy, Joy! (2.4.8-smp kernel on 8500-dual 604)

Subject: Happy, Happy! Joy, Joy! (2.4.8-smp kernel on 8500-dual 604)
From: Mark Jaffe (wizards@wizdev.net)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 12:20:08 MDT

I stopped by the co-lo this morning to check on the stalled 8500/dual-604 on
which I had just upgraded to the 2.4.8-smp kernel. What I found was that it
had actually booted way into the startup sequence, but stalled on the line
"Starting X Font Server"

I gave it the three-finger salute, and ran fsck -y after it complained about
corrupted filesystems. During fsck it stalled again, so I repeated the
procedure and succeeded with fsck this time. Finally got up to a login
prompt. I logged in and actually got KDE up so I guess it's OK for now.
We'll see how long it can stay stable before I migrate all my accounts and
live sites over from the Power120 machine...
Mark Jaffe | (408) 972-9638 (home)
Chief Wizard | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail)
Computer Wizards | (425) 795-6421 (FAX)
wizards@wizdev.net | http://www.wizdev.net/