Re: coupl'a silly questions

Subject: Re: coupl'a silly questions
From: William J. Brinkman (brinkman@CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 24 2001 - 19:40:59 MDT

> What's the bash equivalent of tcsh's \!* sequence?
> I've grown acustomed to the following alias, and my
> literal translation returns an error.
> ls -lt \!* | head

I dunno on this one, but you can install tcsh and set it as your shell, if
you desire.

> How does one logout of an X session without shutting
> the machine down? (Note, I do NOT use a desktop
> environment; i.e.: no KDE or Gnome.)

What *are* you using? Normally, when you quit your window manager, it
dumps you back out to the console. Are you starting in runlevel 5
(graphical login) or 3 (text login)? My guess is that you are in runlevel
5, so to go to runlevel 3 use "/sbin/telinit 3" or "/sbin/init 3" (without
the quotes, of course).

If this isn't it, there are other possibilities, so email me back.

Bo