YDL 2.0 Installer

Subject: YDL 2.0 Installer
From: Murias O'Ceallagh (linux@dragonsblood.net)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 10:58:12 MDT

This is just my own 2 cents worth.

First off I was able to finally get the montior to work by seraching long
and hard on the web and finding the proper kernel arguments (video=atyfb
video=ofonly), I hope this might help people in the future. I have
noticed that after the install I needed these still to have the screen be
normal. Didn't need it before 2.0. Wondering.....

All in all though, I must say that I am not fond of the installer. I
felt as if I was installing a MS product. Only four choices for install?
 What up with that? I really dug being able to choose exactly what got
installed. Thought "custom install" meant custom install. Now the
install process takes a great deal more time. Need to install one of the
options, then go back and rpm things individually. I miss the install
packages individually option of before. ;(

I do like the ease of the partitioning and the naming of the mount points
though. Much easier than before. Although, the time saved by this,
didn't make up for the lost time of the installing of the packages.
Downtime of servers is important.

Oh well, this was just my 2 cents worth. I kinda look at it this way; if
we do not state what we do and don't like, then the folks at YellowDog
don't know what to do in future releases.

(an after thought) a pdf or txt version of installation guide on the
disk? Once machine is off the net, hard to find it. ;)

TTFN
Murias