YDL2 on PowerBook G3 (Wall Street) w/ slow X video

Subject: YDL2 on PowerBook G3 (Wall Street) w/ slow X video
From: Steve Freitas (steve@ihonk.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 14:49:17 MDT

Hiya!

I got YDL 2.0 installed just fine, but when I get into X, things are
SLOOOOOW. (Before I hit X, in the console, the speed is fine.) A check of
processor utilization shows that X is taking up most of the processing time
anytime I do anything, such as use an xterm.

So, my XFree86Config-4 file initially showed this:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    #Option "UseFBDev"
    Driver "fbdev"
    VendorName "ATI"
    #BusID "PCI:0:16:0"

So, cat /proc/pci reveals that the ATI actually resides on 0:17:0, so I
change that and enable the line, but that only makes a little beep while X
starts up, and things are otherwise the same. I uncomment the Option line,
but it doesn't help. I change Driver to "ati" -- Almost! Things are quite
fast now, but I've got four vertical columns that are, well, "blurry," as
the pixels switch their contents back and forth.

I'm using BootX, and I pass no kernel parameters. Force Video is on, and
whether I select "No Video Driver" or not, the results are the same.
Question: Should BootX's video settings have anything to do with how X
works?

BTW - I just downloaded an ISO, burned it, installed, and that worked fine.
I ran "yup update", but it says there's nothing to do. I can't believe
that's true. Suggestions?

Where should I go from here?

Thanks!

Steve