Re: Road Warrior PCMCIA<->IDE adapter

Subject: Re: Road Warrior PCMCIA<->IDE adapter
From: Paul J. Lucas (pauljlucas@mac.com)
Date: Sat Aug 25 2001 - 19:32:52 MDT

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

> FYI: I tried out the Road Warrior PCMCIA-to-IDE adapter connected to a
> Bullet Drive (external laptop IDE disk chassis) and it works just fine.
> It's even powered from the PCMCIA bus. It mounts as /dev/hdc1. See:
>
> http://www.warrior.com/drivehard/ehd/
>
> I'm thinking about upgrading my PowerBook's Linux (mostly to get
> glibc2.2, without hosing my system, since newer RPMs depend on 2.2) and
> swapping in a new disk then simply copying my files back across.

        I'm wondering if this will actually work. A drive in the
        extnal chassis works if it's been partitioned using a DOS
        partitioning scheme (fdisk). I tried repartitioning a test
        disk using pdisk. It complained that it couldn't write blocks
        1-4.

        Does anybody know whether, if I were to put my current internal
        PowerBook hard disk into the external chassis whether the
        PCMCIA software could read from it?

        - Paul