Re: Booting YDL CD's on my Powerbook + a little more

Subject: Re: Booting YDL CD's on my Powerbook + a little more
From: Paulo Abreu (paulotex@yahoo.com )
Date: Sun Aug 26 2001 - 03:04:28 MDT

>Hey all,
>
>I have a bit of a problem on my hands. I have (or at least had) a Triple
>boot of Mac OS 9.1, OS X, and YDL 2.0 setup on my Lombard Powerbook.

So have I, on my iBook.

> That
>was working fine for months until I went and zapped my PRAM. After that I
>no longer found yaboot on start up.

The same happened to me. I played with the OF so that I could no longer boot, so I had to zap the PRAM, and then Yaboot could no longer boot.

> So when I found the time I went though
>all my unread mails from this mailing list (sorry.. busy guy I am =) and
>found an Open Firmware command that should have fixed me all up. I went
>thought the commands "setenv boot-device hd:12,ofboot.b" and "reset-all" and
>that brought me to yaboot. I was relieved, until I hit "l" and yaboot came
>back up. I hit "l" again, the same. "m" this time and the same. Then I got
>some kind of inverted color scheme screen with the flashing folder and then
>got booted into OS 9. Ok, so I'll boot off the rescue disk and run ybin
>right? No.. It seems My Powerbook does not want to boot off it. It seems
>to try but quits and goes on the 9. I'll just reinstall then. Nope, same
>results with the install CD. The install CD worked fine when I got it just
>after the release of 2.0 and My wife's new iMac has no problem booting the
>CD's.
>
>So.. What I am I to do?

My suggestion is: zap the pram again; do the set-env stuff again, but
this time use \\:tbxi instead of ofboot.b.

When hitting "l" doesn't work, don't hit it again, or any other letter,
without rebooting. It never worked with me.

OTH,

Paulo