Re: Bad CD?

Subject: Re: Bad CD?
cbsled@ncia.net
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 20:56:45 MDT

On 08/26/01, at 02:09 PM, Bo Brinkman <brinkman@cs.princeton.edu> said:

>One idea: if you have enough HD space on the Mac, copy the CD to
>the mac hard drive. Any place on the CD that has a CRC error should prevent
>you from copying the file, so it should become apparent which files you need
>to DL. ...

>Of course I have only tried this process on an Intel machine with RedHat,
>but.. I don't see why it *shouldn't* work. :)

That was what I used too, since my burner is attached to one. It produced a nice concise list of 3 defective files.
The enscript, esound, and exmh packages on the CD are all *much* smaller than the versions on the ftp site.
Unfortunately, my newly "fixed" CD isn't recognized by the install program. I'm guessing this is because it wasn't burned on a Mac, so some Mac hocus-pocus is missing or rendered useless. I simply copied everything back onto a CD using xcdroast. The Powerbook wouldn't boot from the original CD, so I didn't think there was anything special about it.

Workarounds?
Fixes?
( keeping in mind that I don't have a Mac with a burner)

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
Assembles easily in minutes with common household tools!