Re: Bad CD?

Subject: Re: Bad CD?
cbsled@ncia.net
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 08:47:59 MDT

On 08/28/01, at 12:41 AM, Bo Brinkman <brinkman@cs.princeton.edu> said:

>you could copy the
>ramdisk of the intaller and the kernel of the installer to MacOS, and use the
>BootX bootloader to boot that kernel+ramdisk. Then you would be able to access
>the non-magical CD (the one you burned) and use it as install media.

>Might be worth a try, though the best solution, of course, is to get new
>install media from YDL.

That appears to be the way the installer works, at least on an old-world ROM machine. I found that my CD copy had lost the directories off the top somehow, so I burned another. It worked until "transferring packages", then froze. Oh well<shrug>. I tried.

There is a script called mkinstallcd on the CD, under misc/. I compiled and installed the hfsutils package on my Redhat box, but the script wouldn't work. I think it might need an hfs drive, which of course I don't have on that system. Does anyone know how to use it?

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
Microsoft: The company that made eMail dangerous.