Re: vOSiX, was: Re: Darwin Streaming Server 3.01 running on YDL

Subject: Re: vOSiX, was: Re: Darwin Streaming Server 3.01 running on YDL
From: Robert Vogt IV (robert@arborhost.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 18:18:14 MDT

> What does this mean for us as current and presumably long-term YDL
> users. Does it mean that we can look forward to an Orange Puppy Linux
> that avoids all these driver problems.

        Well, it wouldn't be Linux. :) But yes, licensing would be about
the same, and it'll be open source. The goal is to produce an
architecturally better OS while maintaining compatibility with the
majority of Linux software.

> Does it mean that the Church
> of Linus has false doctrine, that microkernel architectures really
> are superior?

        It depends. A microkernel architecture is far more stable and
error-resiliant. However, a monolithic kernel is faster, since everything
resides within one process. We're going for a combination - microkernel
code architecture, but monolithic run-time. :)

> Actually, while you are at it can you point me to a source that
> explains how a kernel designed exclusively for old Intel instruction
> set can be boogered around to sing so on PPC?

        Well, the parts specific to x86 machine was obviously not re-used
- they were re-written. The rest is rather generic (file systems,
permissions, etc.)

                                -Robert Vogt IV