Other Distros?

Subject: Other Distros?
From: Ted Goranson (tedg@sirius-beta.com)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 21:18:07 MDT

Lineratti--

I'm not trolling here, but I see that there are other PPC distros out
there, most recently the Mandrake one.

Am I correct in assuming that except for the kernel and installer
these are all essentially the same so far as software? Also that a
primary difference is the business model and philosophy of the
company?

Can I further assume -- forgive me where I am wrong -- that one could
characterize TSS as concerned with SMP and H/S systems, also with
dual boot coexistence with MacOS.

SuSE and Mandrake are more on a "cover the world" and sell expertise
model, so their distros are competent but less tailored to Mac users?

I ask in part because I plan on a second PPC box, my G4 with an
nVidea, a Radeon, and also an Adaptec 160, currently a triple death
threat. I see three options:

-- Wait for YDL to support these (I should say that I have had an
excellent experience with TSS paid support!)

-- Noodle around with some other distro (but what about dual boot?)

-- Just go with Virtual PC and one of the PeeCee Linuxes.

Best, Ted

--
Ted Goranson