Re: VST powerbook expansion-bay CD-RW

Subject: Re: VST powerbook expansion-bay CD-RW
From: Paulo Tribolet Abreu (pauloabreu@netc.pt)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 14:47:03 MDT

> Anyone had any luck with a VST expansion-bay CD-RW drive in a
> powerbook running YDL? It reads fine, but what I'd like to do is use
> it to write CDs.

If it reads the cds, I think I can assume that there are no driver
problems. So I guess this is only a ide-scsi thing:

Most of linux tools that record cds (cdrecord, cdrdao) use a scsi
interface. They don't work with ide/ata. I don't know what really is a
vst expansion bay, but the expansion bays I know are ide/ata. The
solution is usually to install an ide-scsi, that is, to emulate the ide
interface as a scsi. This is not that difficult: first, include the
option "hdX=ide-scsi" in the boot options, where X the the letter of
your cd-recorder, eg, hdb. Then, make sure your kernel is compiled with
scsi emulation support. Most kernels already are compiled with tis
option, either built-in or as module, so most of the time the kernel
option is enough. You might need to relink /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0.

HTH

Paulo