Re: audio ripping & encoding suggestions???

Subject: Re: audio ripping & encoding suggestions???
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 14:53:16 MDT

As far as I know, there isn't much out there for AAC. From a market
perspective, the big battle is between MP3 and WMA from our friends (sic) in
Redmond. Anything other than MP3 generally makes sense if you are intending
to stream to analogue modem connections. AAC is a (non-royalty-free)
standard that is being adopted but not yet on a wide scale.

The Open Source and truly royalty free encoding alternative to the
proprietary audio coding formats is Ogg Vorbis (www.vorbis.com) and for
video it's Open DivX (www.projectmayo.com).

I've ripped a number of CDs using CD paranoia but using iTunes on a Mac is
much simpler and facilitates the editing of ID3 tags. However, it only uses
CDDB at the moment. There are many ID3 tagging utilities available on
freshmeat.net that you can use to tag and archive MP3 files.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can build an MP3 jukebox on a linux
server using icecast and obs (obs.freeamp.org). Obs comes with tools that
automate the ripping of CDs.

  Iain