rpm -bb doesn't do anything!

Subject: rpm -bb doesn't do anything!
From: Mike Garabedian (mgarabed@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 18:06:54 MDT

Hey all,

This oneıs got me mystified (admittedly, thatıs pretty easy to do on linux).
I am trying to recompile php to include support for mysql, and since I had
already installed the latest binary rpm and it worked great (except for
mysql) I thought it would be a good idea to do a recompile based off of the
source rpm.

So I installed the src rpm, and the files go where they should
(/usr/src/rpm/SOURCES and /SPECS). I make the minor tweak to the spec file
to include mysql-support. But when I try to build I get nothing but the
argument list as though I typed rpm by itself.

From within /usr/src/rpm/SPECS Iıve tried the following permutations:
> rpm ­bb php.spec
> rpm -bb /usr/src/rpm/SPECS/php.spec

As well as trying every combination of -bp,-bl,-bc,-ba etc.
I've thrown in the -vv switch, too.
I've tried running the command from the SOURCES directory, using the
absolute pathname to the spec file.

In every case, all that comes up is the verbage as though I typed rpm by
itself.

When I put in a bogus switch I get the following:
> rpm -bj php.spec
-bj: unknown option

I've also run rpm --specrc and it appears to have the correct arch and os
info.

This tells me that...well, I'm not sure what it tells me...any suggestions?

Thanks -- Mike

BTW, based on posts from another forum, I have made the conclusion that the
only way to get mysql support in php is to have it explicitly called out at
compile time, which the binary rpm does not have. If there is another way,
please let me know...