Re: install YDL2 over linuxppc -- save /home

Subject: Re: install YDL2 over linuxppc -- save /home
From: John Schmidt (jas@retriever.mech.utah.edu )
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 21:38:22 MDT

> on 8/30/01 1:57 PM, John Schmidt at jas@retriever.mech.utah.edu wrote:
>
> >> It will let you set that partition as /home and wont touch it one bit - very
> >> nice installer really.
>
> One more thing - you need to choose the custom install option, you will be
> able to select it's mount point after selecting the partitions.
>
> Robert Brandtjen
> --------------------------------------
> Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
> Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com
> www.prometheusmedia.com

Robert and others,

The install went smoothly using the custom install. My /home was preserved.
Contrary to the installation instructions, I did manage to make a 512MB
swap partition to go with my 448 MB RAM. I default kernel booted fine,
with this much RAM. Others have reported that in excess of 512MB one
needs to compile a kernel with High Mem turned on.

John Schmidt
jas@retriever.mech.utah.edu