Re: Updating Kernel for Newbies

Subject: Re: Updating Kernel for Newbies
From: Aake Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 11:28:08 MDT

>Hi. Dan sent a link to his files for 2.4.8 recently. I am still
>running on dist 2.2 because the 2.4 on the CD doesn't support
>airport. When I upgrade my Kernel to 2.4.8, can anyone outline the
>steps to doing it, preferably from the command line?
>Do I just 'rpm -Uvh' the xxx.ppc.rpm file, or do I need to rpm all
>of Dan's files?
>Also there is a vmlinux executable in there. What do I do with that file?

Hi Andrew!

I'm new to Linux too, but I managed to download the source for kernel
2.4.8 and successfully compile and install it. Here's how I did it (I
think):
* Download the 'src.ppc.rpm' file and run rpm -ivh 'filename' it
should then unpack itself in a directory named: linux-2.4.8
*In that dir. type 'make menuconfig' and make some choices - I'm
sorry I can't help you with all those choices (Maybe some helpful
reader can)
* After that type 'make dep'
* After that type 'make', 'make modules' and ' make 'modules_install'
- all this will certainely take a while (like 1-2 hours on my PPC7600)
* You'll get two essential files from this - 'vmlinux' (the new
kernel) and 'System.map' - both these should be copied to '/boot'. If
your on an "Old World Mac" with Bootx you also must copy 'vmlinux' to
your 'Linux Kernel' folder. If you are using yaboot and don't what
you should do with 'vmlinux' ans 'System.map'

A tip: when in dir. linux-2.4.8 do 'cp vmlinux
filename_of_your_choice' and you'll get a kernel file with a new name
- it'll be easier to separate your different kernel compilations that
way!

Good luck

Aake Svensson, Sweden